The Journal 8 Build #1253 is a bugfix release. This is a free update for all registered users of The Journal 8. See below for upgrading instructions.
Primary benefit of this update:
- Bug fixes (see below).
- Error viewing non-auto-load Journal Volume in JV Properties.
- File links tagged with a topic aren’t upgrading properly.
- Entry calendar charms displaying differently in larger UI modes.
- User Preferences form sized oddly after upgrading.
- Categories with “Start on latest entry by default” aren’t bringing up the last calendar entry.
- Pasting a string into the in-UI search box doesn’t start the search.
- Batch Entry Import: Simple Export file import not working for all cases.
- Sometimes a non-empty calendar entry shows an empty/“new entry” icon.
- Error opening object inserted in an entry.
- Sometimes getting “SQLite3 Error 8 – attempt to write a readonly database” on save.
- Imported HTML with colored text is losing the text color.
Upgrading from The Journal 8 (any previous build)
Click on the “File” menu, “Maintenance” sub-menu and choose “Backup The Journal…” to create a backup *before* you install the update.
Click on the “Help” menu and choose “Check for Update…” Download the update, close The Journal, and install the update over your current version. You can also download the update directly from the Web page, as this build is now the default download.
NOTE: Please close The Journal before installing the update. The Journal cannot be running when you install the update.
Upgrading from The Journal 7 (or any previous version)
NOTE: Do NOT uninstall the previous version! (At least, not until you’re satisfied with the upgrade. Then you can uninstall the previous version.)
Download and install The Journal 8. If you have The Journal installed in the default location, you will be prompted by The Journal 8 about upgrading your TJ7 (or earlier) Journal Volumes.
You will need to close The Journal 7 while TJ8 upgrades your Journal Volumes. After that, though, you can run both The Journal 8 and The Journal 7 without any issues.
People who have purchased any previous version of The Journal are eligible for special upgrade pricing:
- If you purchased The Journal 7 between any time in 2018, you are eligible for a FREE upgrade to The Journal 8. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request your free Registration Keys for The Journal 8.
- If you have purchased any previous version of The Journal (v1-v7), you can upgrade to The Journal 8 for only $29.99 ($35 off).
As always, if you have any questions about or suggestions for The Journal, please don’t hesitate to contact me: email@example.com