The Journal 8 Build #1287 is a bugfix release. This is a free update for all registered users of The Journal 8. See below for upgrading instructions.
Primary benefit of this update:
- Bug fixes (see below).
- “EArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument out of range” when closing.
- Minor tweaks to the primary category entry UI.
- Getting EOleSysError error when closing an inserted MS Word document.
- EJsonParserException: String not closed (1, 62) on loading entries.
- Some calendar entries are displaying 1-year-and-1-month “off”.
- Backup error: “EFCreateError: Cannot create file” when backup path includes an improper drive letter.
- “Entry Index” report should display the first line of the entry if that category option is set.
- Posting Cyrillic characters to LiveJournal isn’t working.
- Can’t use Ctrl+V to paste into the Search box if the active entry is read only.
- All HTML exports should use UTF8.
- Topic names with ampersands are not escaped in the status bar.
- Error on startup: “EInvalidOp: Invalid floating point operation”
- Error when deleting a topic in Edit Topics.
- Using hot-keys for bold/italic/underline while typing isn’t always updating toolbar buttons.
Upgrading from The Journal 8 (any previous build)
Click on the “File” menu, “Maintenance” sub-menu and choose “Backup The Journal…” to create a backup *before* you install the update.
Click on the “Help” menu and choose “Check for Update…” Download the update, close The Journal, and install the update over your current version. You can also download the update directly from the Web page, as this build is now the default download.
NOTE: Please close The Journal before installing the update. The Journal cannot be running when you install the update.
Upgrading from The Journal 7 (or any previous version)
NOTE: Do NOT uninstall the previous version! (At least, not until you’re satisfied with the upgrade. Then you can uninstall the previous version.)
Download and install The Journal 8. If you have The Journal installed in the default location, you will be prompted by The Journal 8 about upgrading your TJ7 (or earlier) Journal Volumes.
You will need to close The Journal 7 while TJ8 upgrades your Journal Volumes. After that, though, you can run both The Journal 8 and The Journal 7 without any issues.
People who have purchased any previous version of The Journal are eligible for special upgrade pricing:
- If you purchased The Journal 7 between any time in 2018, you are eligible for a FREE upgrade to The Journal 8. Send an email to email@example.com to request your free Registration Keys for The Journal 8.
- If you have purchased any previous version of The Journal (v1-v7), you can upgrade to The Journal 8 for only $29.99 ($35 off).
As always, if you have any questions about or suggestions for The Journal, please don’t hesitate to contact me: firstname.lastname@example.org