The Journal 8 Build #1299 is a bugfix release. This is a free update for all registered users of The Journal 8. See below for upgrading instructions.
Primary benefit of this update:
- Bug fixes (see below).
- Getting an error when doing a backup: “EAccessViolation: Access violation at address 00FB2489 in module ‘Journal8.exe’. Read of address 00000000”
- Getting an error: “Cannot focus a disabled or invisible window”
- Don’t override mousewheel handling on Windows 8/10.
- Uncaught exception when doing a search query.
- When editing User Images, sometimes getting a “divide by zero” error.
- In Search Entries by Topic, sometimes getting an error on entries with tables.
- Getting error “SQLite3 Error 8 – attempt to write a readonly database” sometimes after a long idle period.
- Getting error “EOutOfMemory: Out of memory” when pasting into an entry.
- On high DPI displays, the toolbar looks crowded.
- Form for editing custom spell checker dictionaries isn’t scaling properly on high DPI displays.
- If Journal Volume becomes read only due to external software, wait for it to become available again.
- Sometimes getting an error when selecting a font from the toolbar.
- Creating entries with dates before 1/1/1900 is having issues.
- Getting an error when double-clicking on Journal Volume file in Windows Explorer.
- “Always backup on closing” option not working if The Journal is closed while minimized.
- Including trailing space when selecting a word has issues.
- Table right-click context menu doesn’t include “Merge Cells” or “Split Cell(s)”.
- Access violation when printing an entry.
Upgrading from The Journal 8 (any previous build)
Click on the “File” menu, “Maintenance” sub-menu and choose “Backup The Journal…” to create a backup *before* you install the update.
Click on the “Help” menu and choose “Check for Update…” Download the update, close The Journal, and install the update over your current version. You can also download the update directly from the Web page, as this build is now the default download.
NOTE: Please close The Journal before installing the update. The Journal cannot be running when you install the update.
Upgrading from The Journal 7 (or any previous version)
NOTE: Do NOT uninstall the previous version! (At least, not until you’re satisfied with the upgrade. Then you can uninstall the previous version.)
Download and install The Journal 8. If you have The Journal installed in the default location, you will be prompted by The Journal 8 about upgrading your TJ7 (or earlier) Journal Volumes.
You will need to close The Journal 7 while TJ8 upgrades your Journal Volumes. After that, though, you can run both The Journal 8 and The Journal 7 without any issues.
People who have purchased any previous version of The Journal are eligible for special upgrade pricing:
- If you purchased The Journal 7 between any time in 2018, you are eligible for a FREE upgrade to The Journal 8. Send an email to email@example.com to request your free Registration Keys for The Journal 8.
- If you have purchased any previous version of The Journal (v1-v7), you can upgrade to The Journal 8 for only $29.99 ($35 off).
As always, if you have any questions about or suggestions for The Journal, please don’t hesitate to contact me: firstname.lastname@example.org