What is a “category”?
Categories are a powerful way to organize your entries in The Journal. The Journal creates three categories for you automatically: “Daily Journal”, “Notebook”, and “Templates”. Each category has its own tab, making it easy to switch back and forth. You can create as many categories as you want.
“Daily Journal” is a calendar category which creates a new entry for you every day, and organizes those entries into months and years for you.
“Notebook” is a loose-leaf category. Entries in a loose-leaf category are not tied to a specific date. Instead, they are like named documents that you can arrange any way you want.
What is a “calendar” category?
Calendar categories can have entries for an hour, a day, a week, a month, a year–even for decades and centuries. The “Daily Journal” category created for you automatically is a calendar category that creates a new entry for you every day.
Calendar categories automatically organize your entries for you into days, weeks, months, and years. You can also view summaries of your entries in a monthly calendar, or a horizontal yearly calendar.
You can create an entry for any date: past, present or future. Any date, as far back or as far forward as you want to go.
Don’t worry about empty entries: The Journal doesn’t store empty calendar entries.
What is a “loose-leaf” category?
Loose-leaf categories are a collection of entries that are not tied to a particular date (as they are in calendar categories). Instead, entries in a loose-leaf category are named documents, arranged by you, just like a loose-leaf notebook.
Loose-leaf category entries can be arranged in any order (just click-and-drag), and entries can have sub-entries (which can have sub-entries, which can have sub-entries, …).
How do I set a category’s default font?
By default, The Journal uses Times New Roman font. You can use any Windows font (TrueType or Type-1) for your entries.
To set the default font used by a category:
1. Click on the Format menu and choose “Change Default Font for [category name]”.
If you want to change the default font for all categories, you need to change your user default font:
1. Click on the User menu and choose “Change User Default Font”.
How do I create a new category?
1. Click on the Category menu and choose “Create New Category…”
2. Choose a name for your category (example: “Dreams”).
3. Pick a category type, Calendar or Loose-leaf.
4. If you are creating a calendar category, you will need to choose how often you want a new entry:
- Every 1-12 hours,
- Every day,
- Every week (on a particular weekday),
- Every month (on a particular day), or
- Every year, decade, or century (if you’re writing a history)
5. If you would like the new category to be a sub-category, choose the category that the new category will be under.
When you click on “Create”, your new category will be created and you will be able to click on its tab and start making entries immediately.
How do I delete a category?
- Right-click on the category tab, and choose Category Properties…
- Select the category to delete from the list of categories.
- Click on Delete Category.
NOTE: Deleting a category also deletes all of the entries in that category, as well as any sub-categories (and their entries). Deleting a category cannot be undone.
How do I see how many entries are in a category?
Click on the Category menu and choose “Category Statistics…”
Don't See Your Question?
If you have any questions about The Journal, please don't hesitate to ask. Email met at (email@example.com) . I’m here for you.