The Journal 8 Build #1275 is a bugfix release. This is a free update for all registered users of The Journal 8. See below for upgrading instructions.
Primary benefits of this update:
- Smaller backup files!
- Bug fixes (see below).
- When customizing a toolbar, trying to put a “New Separator” on the toolbar is generating an error.
- Getting “Backup Error. #1” when attempting to backup a non-auto-load Journal Volume.
- Mouse wheel isn’t scrolling online help.
- Adding new topics in “Edit Topics” isn’t working.
- The toolbar list of topics isn’t being updated after adding topics with “Tag Entry…” or “Apply Topic to Text…”
- Need to more gracefully catch error when Journal Volume cannot be created.
- After giving a category a password, can’t get back in to that category.
- Entry dates are being saved in universal time instead of local time.
- There is no reason to include the indexed search information in the backup file, as it will be rebuilt after restoring.
- There is no indicator when saving a lot of entries, just a spinning mouse cursor.
- Search by Topics, View All Results with “Display only topic text” checked doesn’t show category or entry headers.
- Search by Topics is unnecessarily indexing entries for normal text search.
- Search by Topics, View All Results with “Display only topic text” checked isn’t displaying content of entries that have been tagged with the topic.
- Deleting a style in Format Styles causing an error if the deleted style is the “Style for following paragraph” of another style.
- Getting an error with hot-key Ctrl+Shift+T (Set Focus to Entry Tree) when entry tree is not visible.
- When selecting multiple cells in a table, if the fonts are the same but the sizes are different, the incorrect font name is displayed on the toolbar.
- Cannot login after renaming user.
Upgrading from The Journal 8 (any previous build)
Click on the “File” menu, “Maintenance” sub-menu and choose “Backup The Journal…” to create a backup *before* you install the update.
Click on the “Help” menu and choose “Check for Update…” Download the update, close The Journal, and install the update over your current version. You can also download the update directly from the Web page, as this build is now the default download.
NOTE: Please close The Journal before installing the update. The Journal cannot be running when you install the update.
Upgrading from The Journal 7 (or any previous version)
NOTE: Do NOT uninstall the previous version! (At least, not until you’re satisfied with the upgrade. Then you can uninstall the previous version.)
Download and install The Journal 8. If you have The Journal installed in the default location, you will be prompted by The Journal 8 about upgrading your TJ7 (or earlier) Journal Volumes.
You will need to close The Journal 7 while TJ8 upgrades your Journal Volumes. After that, though, you can run both The Journal 8 and The Journal 7 without any issues.
People who have purchased any previous version of The Journal are eligible for special upgrade pricing:
- If you purchased The Journal 7 between any time in 2018, you are eligible for a FREE upgrade to The Journal 8. Send an email to email@example.com to request your free Registration Keys for The Journal 8.
- If you have purchased any previous version of The Journal (v1-v7), you can upgrade to The Journal 8 for only $29.99 ($35 off).
As always, if you have any questions about or suggestions for The Journal, please don’t hesitate to contact me: firstname.lastname@example.org