The Journal Newsletter
Happy/Merry Holidays/Hannukah/Christmas/Kwanza 2009!
The Journal 5.1 is now available.
This month’s tips describe how to use the new ability to wrap text around images in your entries, plus how to recover a category from a backup. And, of course, we have a new set of writing exercises.
Thank you for choosing DavidRM Software’s The Journal!
Tips & Tricks
TIP: How to Wrap Text Around Pictures in Your Entries
New in The Journal 5.1 is ability to wrap text around images in your entries. Here’s how to do it:
1. First, insert the image, picture or digital photo.
2. Click on the image to select it.
3. Right-click the image and choose “Edit Image/Object Properties & Layout”.
4. Bring up the “Layout” tab.
5. Under “Vertical Alignment”, choose the “Align” you want:
- left side <– the image will be on the left side, the text wrapping on the right
- right side <– the image will be on the right side, the text wrapping on the left
6. Under “Spacing”, you can put a little “white space” around the image, so the text doesn’t run right up to the edge of the image. I like: 5
7. Click on OK.
And that’s it!
TIP: How to Extract a Category from a Backup
If you ever need to recover one or more categories from a backup file, here’s how to do that:
1. Create a new Journal Volume (File menu, Journal Volume sub-menu,“Create New Journal Volume…”).
2. Restore the backup file into the new Journal Volume. NOTE: Make sure you select the *new* Journal Volume for the restore.
3. In the new Journal Volume, click on the File menu, Export sub-menu, and choose “Export Entries…”
4. Check the category or categories in the list to export all of their entries to a JNX (Journal Export format) file.
5. In your original Journal Volume, click on the File menu, Import sub-menu, and choose “Import Entries…” to import the JNX file.
6. Verify the category has imported properly by reviewing its entries.
7. Delete the new Journal Volume you created in #1. Click on the Filemenu, Journal Volume sub-menu and choose “Journal Volume Properties…” Select the new Journal Volume in the list and click on“Delete”.
Free Writing Prompt – Write for 20 minutes using the following as your starter: “Beans Spilled”
Journaling Prompt – Have you planned (or fantasized about) your funeral? How do you want it go? Do you want a religious funeral? Sombre or festive?
Memoir Prompt – What’s your most interesting coincidental meeting/encounter?
If you would like to contribute to the “How I Use The Journal”, “Writing Exercises”, or “Tips & Tricks” sections, or would like to submit an article about journaling, writing, or another The Journal-related topic, we would love to hear from you.
Submissions for the newsletter should be sent to: email@example.com
If you are submitting for a particular section, please indicate which one. Try to limit your submissions to 500-1000 words. Submissions may be edited for length and content.
If you prefer to remain anonymous, please state this in the email. Otherwise your name (but not your email) will be used in the article heading.
As always, if you have any suggestions for, or bug reports about, The Journal, please feel free to email them. Both are always welcome.